QUIZ: 'Nun of the Above'
By Peter Westhoff
‘And his name is….’
A quiz on Catholic things under the patronage of the “Doctor of Prayer,” St. Teresa of Avila. For each question there is one right answer. Each quiz will have one question that is answered with “E” for NOTA, which stands for “None of the Above.” This week’s quiz covers Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) Nos. 397-409.
Soon the princes of the Church will cast ballots to determine our next Holy Father. Once the newest successor of Peter is known, the chosen one will announce his pontifical name. In honor of this historical event, our quiz today will not be questions on the faith from the catechism, but questions about names popes have chosen.
1. What name has been chosen by the greatest number of popes?
2. What name was first repeated?
3. Which of these “Z” names is not pontifical?
4. Which was the last pope whose name was never chosen by another?
5. Who was the 100th pope?
A. Eugene II
C. Gregory IV
D. Sergius II
6. Since 1700 there have been 24 popes. What name has been used seven times since 1700, making it the most popular in recent history?
7. Only one pope’s name began with an “R.” Who was he?
8. What two names could the next pope choose to have an X (Tenth) after his name?
A. Nicholas or Innocent
B. Stephen or Boniface
C. Leo or Martin
D. Urban or Eugene
9. John Paul II chose his immediate predecessor’s name. Who was the last pope before him to do this?
A. Pius XII
B. Clement X
C. Benedict XI
D. Paul IV
10. John Paul II was also the most recent pope to be a II (second). The next most recent to be a II was the 222nd pope elected in 1555 who chose the name of the 30th pope who began his reign in 304. Who was this pope?
A. Damasus II
B. Callistus II
C. Julius II
D. Marcellus II
ANSWERS: 1. C, 2. E, Anacletus (Cletus), 3. B, 4. D, 5. B, 6. A, 7. C, 8. B, 9. A, 10. D