QUIZ: 'Nun of the Above'
By Peter Westhoff
Saintly queens and virtue
A quiz on Catholic things under the patronage of the “Doctor of Prayer,” St. Teresa of Avila. For each question there is one right answer. Each quiz will have one question that is answered with “E” for NOTA, which stands for “None of the Above.”
In the middle of November we celebrate two queens who became saints: St. Margaret of Scotland and St. Elizabeth of Hungary. Their faith led both of them to practice austerity when they could have lived lavishly and to practice the corporal works of mercy among the poor.
1. In the Old Testament, our salvation is present:
A. in its fullness
B. in a hidden way
C. in the philosophical conclusions reached by the Jews
D. when the Jews reach the Promised Land
2. What does the Marcionism heresy falsely teach?
A. There was no true prophesy in the Old Testament.
B. There are only 33 canonical books in the Old Testament.
C. To believe in what the Old Testament says is to reject Christianity.
D. The New Testament has rendered the Old Testament useless.
3. What is the heart of the books of sacred Scripture?
A. the Gospels
B. the Acts of the Apostles
C. the Book of Revelation
D. St. Paul’s Epistles
4. Which of these gives the right order of the three stages in the foundation of the Gospels?
A. oral tradition; life and teaching of Jesus; written Gospels
B. life and teaching of Jesus; written Gospels; oral tradition
C. written Gospels; oral tradition; life of Jesus
D. written Gospels; life of Jesus; oral tradition
5. To whom is the following quote attributed: “Above all it is the Gospels that occupy my mind when I am at prayer. I’m always finding fresh lights there, hidden and enthralling meanings.”
A. Therese of Lisieux
B. Pope John Paul II
C. Junipero Serra
D. Dorothy Day
6. Complete this old saying about the unity of the two testaments of the Bible: “The New Testament lies hidden in the Old, and the Old Testament ...
A. remains a mystery
B. prepares the way for the New Testament
C. is unveiled in the New Testament
D. hides the New Testament
7. Typology also shows the unity between the testaments. There are many types of (persons who prefigure) Christ in the Old Testament. Which of these is a clear example of this?
A. Moses receiving the Ten Commandments
B. Isaac carrying wood up Mount Moriah to be sacrificed
C. The angel purifying Isaiah’s lips with a burning coal
D. Joseph wearing a coat of many colors
8. The Church through the ages has urged the faithful to read Scripture. This saint emphasized the importance of knowing Scripture with these words, “Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ.”
A. St. Jerome
B. St. Basil
C. St. John Chrysostom
D. Pope St. Gregory the Great
9. By faith man submits these two powers completely to God:
A. conscience and perception
B. intellect and will
C. abstraction and language
D. risibility and judgment
10. The Catechism of the Catholic Church emphasizes one figure from the Old Testament and one from the New Testament as most noteworthy of faith. Who are these two?
A. Jacob and John the Baptist
B. Abraham and the Blessed Mother
C. Sarah and Peter
D. David and Paul
ANSWERS: 1. B, 2. D, 3. A, 4. E (life, oral, written), 5. A, 6. C, 7. B, 8. A, 9. B, 10. B
Next week’s quiz covers CCC Nos. 148-160