QUIZ: 'Nun of the Above'
By Peter Westhoff
Honoring the patron saint of Colorado and the state’s Catholic history
At the end of this true or false review quiz, the numbers of the questions that are true will be listed. Then the reason the false ones are false will be given.
In the first part of October, we celebrate the patron saint of Colorado. Our first question asks us to identify this saint, and the remaining questions will be about Colorado’s Catholic history, including holy men and women who have graced our state and points of interest within our borders.
1. Colorado’s patron saint whose feast day is within the first week of October is:
A. St. Thérèse of Lisieux
B. St. Francis of Assisi
C. St. Bruno
D. St. Leonardi
2. Sister Blandina, who lived and worked in Trinidad, Colo., faced Billy the Kid and convinced him not to:
A. shoot the town’s sheriff who was also his brother-in-law
B. poison the town’s water supply
C. scalp the four doctors who had refused help to one of his gang
D. use the rectory as a hideout
3. Buffalo Bill Cody, who was baptized into the Catholic Church the day before he died, is buried:
A. in Cody, Wyo., a town named after him
B. in the Pawnee Buttes
C. atop Pikes Peak
D. at Cañon City Abbey
4. Mother Cabrini, while in Colorado, tended to an orphanage called:
A. Holy Innocents
B. Queen of Heaven
C. Good Shepherd
D. Sacred Heart
5. Which of these small towns’ name has no religious significance?
A. Sangre de Cristo
B. Las Animas
C. San Luis
D. Del Norte
6. For whom is Camp St. Malo named?
A. a Spanish saint of Andalucía
B. a French patron of fishermen
C. an English martyr during the Elizabethan persecutions
D. a Scandinavian hermit
ANSWERS: 1. B, 2. C, 3. E (He is buried atop Lookout Mountain), 4. B, 5. D, 6. B