QUIZ: 'Nun of the Above'
By Peter Westhoff
The many Mary feasts in September
A quiz on Catholic things under the patronage of the “Doctor of Prayer,” St. Teresa of Avila. For each question there is one right answer. Each quiz will have one question that is answered with “E” for NOTA, which stands for “None of the Above.”
We think of May and October as “Mary-Months,” but here in the first half of September we have three celebrations of the Blessed Mother: her Nativity, her Holy Name and her Sorrows. Our first question of this quiz should be easy if you remember the last question from the previous quiz.
1. Three birthdays are celebrated in the Church calendar: Our Lord, Our Lady and _____?
A. St. John the Evangelist
B. St. Joseph
C. St. Augustine
D. St. John the Baptist
2. Mary’s birthday is Sept. 8, so on that date it will have been nine months since we celebrated:
A. The Holy Innocents
B. The Assumption
C. The Immaculate Conception
D. The Annunciation
3. Who are the parents of the Blessed Mother?
A. Joachim and Anne
B. Reuben and Jessica
C. Benjamin and Martha
D. Simon and Judith
4. Which of the Joyful Mysteries includes one of Mary’s Seven Sorrows?
5. The Stabat Mater is the fifth sorrow—what do these Latin words mean?
A. Mother of Tears
B. Standing Mother
C. Stricken Mother
D. Mother of Strength
6. What name given to girls comes from the Latin for “Mother of Sorrows”?
7. Three of Mary’s Sorrows precede Jesus’ Hidden Life and four are of his Passion. What foreign land is involved in one of them?
B. Asia Minor
8. Which of these Stations of the Cross is not a part of the Seven Sorrows?
A. IV - Meeting Mary on the way to Calvary
B. VIII - Meeting the women of Jerusalem
C. XIII - The pieta after the taking down from the cross
D. XIV - The laying in the sepulcher
9. In part to honor the Holy Name of Mary, what are many Catholic school students taught to write at the top of their papers?
ANSWERS: 1. D, 2. C, 3. A, 4. D (Within the Presentation is the Prophecy of Simeon, which is one of the Sorrows), 5. B, 6. D, 7. E (The Second Sorrow is the Flight into Egypt), 8. B, 9. B (JMJ stands for “Jesus, Mary and Joseph” and is written to dedicate the work to the Holy Family and to honor the members)