QUIZ: 'Nun of the Above'
By Peter Westhoff
Scriptural sleeping and dreaming
A quiz on Catholic things under the patronage of the “Doctor of Prayer,” St. Teresa of Avila. For each question there is one right answer. Each quiz will have one question that is answered with “E” for NOTA, which stands for “None of the Above.”
August 15 is the Assumption of the Mother of God. In the Eastern rite it is called the Dormition (going to sleep) of the Blessed Mother. Though Mary’s Dormition is not recorded in the Bible, many acts of slumber are. This quiz will consider sleep and dreams found in Scripture.
1. God cast a deep sleep on Adam and took from him:
A. the homesteading rights to the Garden of Eden
B. the desire for the forbidden fruit
C. a rib
D. the canoe he used to travel on the Euphrates River
2. As Jacob slept on his stone pillow, he dreamt that angels were ascending and descending this:
A. a long rope
C. the Tower of Babel
D. a statue with feet of clay
3. What did birds do to Tobias as he slept at the base of a wall?
A. They built their nest in his hair.
B. They shielded him from the sun’s rays with their wings.
C. They pecked at his feet.
D. They harmed his eyes, and eventually he became blind.
4. What did Delilah do to Samson while he slept that took away his strength?
A. Had a blindfold put over his eyes.
B. Had him bound with rope.
C. Had his hair shaved off.
D. Had tattooed on his arm “I love Delilah.”
5. When the great storm struck the ship in which Jonah was fleeing from Nineveh, Jonah was sleeping in the hold. What did the captain command of Jonah upon awakening him?
A. Jump into the sea.
B. Call upon your God.
C. Get on deck and row.
D. Put on sackcloth and sit in ashes.
6. Who had a dream about Jesus that prompted the dreamer to give a warning to Pilate?
B. The Centurion
C. Claudia, Pilate’s wife
D. Mary, the wife of Clopas
7. In Mark’s account of Christ’s calming of the storm, before he reveals his power over elemental forces, Christ slept in the boat with his head resting on a:
B. life preserver
D. fishing net
Answers:1. C, 2. E (a ladder; sometimes translated as a staircase), 3. D, 4. C, 5. B, 6. C, 7. A,