QUIZ: 'Nun of the Above'
By Peter Westhoff
The solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul in June
A quiz on Catholic things under the patronage of the “Doctor of Prayer,” St. Teresa of Avila. For each question there is one right answer. Each quiz will have one question that is answered with “E” for NOTA, which stands for “None of the Above.”
With the universal holy day of Sts. Peter and Paul coming up near the end of the month, we will consider these two great pillars of the Church.
1. What is the common practice of pilgrims to St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome when they walk by the bronze statue of St. Peter?
A. kiss his hand
B. rub his foot
C. pat his head
D. circle it three times
2. Because of St. Peter’s particular crucifixion, which of these could we say?
A. He died with his boots on.
B. He died with his heart above his head.
C. He died facing east.
D. He died as Christ was born—in a cave.
3. What weapon did Peter have in the Garden of Gethsemane?
A. sling shot
4. The word “pontiff” comes from a Latin word meaning:
A. staff – indicating St. Peter as pope who shepherds the flock
B. fisherman – indicating St. Peter as pope who is called to be a fisher of men
C. key – indicating St. Peter as pope who has supreme authority
D. bridge – indicating St. Peter as pope who is a bridge between the faithful and Jesus
5. The papal guard comes from this country:
6. St. Paul wrote the majority of this part of the Bible:
B. The Epistles
D. The Pentateuch
7. A fellow prisoner with St. Paul was:
B. Zenas the Lawyer
8. What is the major basilica in Rome dedicated to St. Paul known as?
A. St. Paul Outside the Walls
B. St. Paul Within the Catacombs
C. St. Paul Along the Tiber
D. St. Paul Upon the Cobblestones
9. Though not one of the original Twelve Apostles, St. Paul is known as the “Apostle to the___”:
10. Where was St. Paul headed when Jesus appeared to him and asked him why he was persecuting him?
Answers: 1. B, 2. B (He was crucified upside down), 3. E (a sword), 4. D (pons means “bridge”), 5. C, 6. B, 7. C, 8. A, 9. D, 10. C