QUIZ: 'Nun of the Above' : April 18, 2012
A quiz on St. Clare and Easter
By Peter Westhoff
A quiz on Catholic things under the patronage of the “Doctor of Prayer,” St. Teresa of Avila. For each question there is one right answer. Each quiz will have one question that is answered with “E” for NOTA, which stands for “None of the Above.”
This year is the eighth centenary of the foundation of the Poor Clares. It was 800 years ago on March 18, 1212, that teenaged Clare made her daring escape by night to the Portiuncula Chapel to dedicate her life to God. The first half of this quiz is for St. Clare and her religious daughters; the second half continues our celebration of Easter.
1. Clare was from what city in Italy?
2. Her name in Italian is “Chiara,” which means:
3. Rising from a sick bed and “armed” with the Blessed Sacrament, Clare drove these away from the monastery:
A. a band of relatives who had come to “free” Clare, her sister and mother
B. a herd of wild boar that were ravaging the potato crop
C. a troupe of heretical gypsies who were menacing the nuns with raucous music
D. soldiers from the army of Frederick II, many of whom were Saracens
4. Mother Francis Mary of the Poor Clares in Roswell, N.M., who died in 2006, wrote a book about Poor Clare life with the title:
A. “A Right to be Merry”
B. “Singing Praise in Poverty”
C. “An Open Door to Love the World”
D. “Joyful Hearts Clothed in Serge”
5. Poor Clares are members of this larger order of religious:
6. What is the Sunday after Easter now known as?
A. Octave-ending Sunday
B. Alleluia Sunday
C. Salvation Sunday
D. Divine Mercy Sunday
7. What is the greatest physical evidence we have of the Resurrection?
A. the veil of Veronica
B. the Shroud of Turin
C. the crown of thorns
D. the faith of the early Christians
8. What prayer replaces the Angelus during the Easter Season?
A. Veni Creator Spiritus
B. Te Deum
C. Parce Domine
D. Regina Coeli
9. What song contains the words “The King of Heaven, the glorious King, over death today rose triumphing”?
A. “Jesus Christ is Risen Today”
B. “O Sons and Daughters”
C. “Alleluia, the Strife is O’er”
D. “Ye Watchers and Ye Holy Ones”
10. Because Thomas the Apostle said that he would not believe Jesus had risen until he had probed Christ’s wounds, what present participle is sometimes placed before his name?
1. A, 2. B, 3. D (though Frederick II was probably not there himself), 4. A, 5. E (Franciscans) 6. D, 7. B, 8. D (Queen of heaven, rejoice!), 9. B, 10. C