QUIZ: 'Nun of the Above' : April 11, 2012
A quiz on Easter and 8
By Peter Westhoff
A quiz under the patronage of St. Teresa of Avila. For each question there is one right answer. One question is answered with “E” for NOTA (None of the Above).
Easter is our triumphant holy day and we celebrate it for eight days. This quiz will consider Easter and holiness associated with the number eight.
1. Why are baptismal fonts often octagonal?
A. In the early Church, eight people were often baptized at once.
B. The eight sides signify the Holy Spirit and his Seven Gifts.
C. Eight is considered the number of purification.
D. There were eight days from Christ’s entrance into Jerusalem to his resurrection.
2. What do we call the eight days from Easter through the first Sunday after Easter?
A. The Octave of Easter
B. Holy Week
C. Pentecost Anticipated
D. Eight Days of Light
3. How does the eighth Beatitude begin?
A. Blessed are the peacemakers
B. Blessed are the poor in spirit
C. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after justice
D Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice’ sake
4. If one prayed all 20 mysteries of the rosary, which mystery would be the eighth?
A. Crowning with Thorns
C. Proclamation of the Kingdom
5. The Eighth Commandment tells us that we should not lie. How is this typically worded?
A. Thou shalt not slander your kin.
B. Thou shalt not commit perjury.
C. Thou shalt not fib about anything.
D. Thou shalt not twist the truth.
6. Why are eggs decorated for Easter?
A. Eggs provide needed protein after the Lenten fast.
B. Eggs are a symbol of new life.
C. Because roosters welcome the dawn with their crowing.
D. Because early environmentalists saw them as a green form of celebration.
7. On Easter, Christ was mistakenly thought to be a:
D. Roman soldier
8. Based on the Gospel accounts of the Resurrection, which of these could we say about the Apostles?
A. Andrew was a better fisherman than James.
B. John was a faster runner than Peter.
C. Bartholomew was stronger than Phillip.
D. Thomas was quicker to believe than Matthew.
9. What power was given to the Apostles on Easter night after Christ breathed on them?
A. the power to forgive sins
B. the power to proclaim the Gospel
C. the power to speak in tongues
D. the power to bless marriages
10. Easter is celebrated on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox (March 21). On what day this year was the last full moon before Easter?
A. The Annunciation
B. Palm Sunday
C. Holy Thursday
D. Good Friday
1. D, 2. A, 3. D, 4. C, 5. E (Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor), 6. B (probably a Christianization of a Roman symbol), 7. C (by Mary Magdalene), 8. B (John outran Peter to the tomb), 9. A 10. D