QUIZ: 'Nun of the Above'
By Peter Westhoff
The roaring lion of March—and of our souls
A quiz on Catholic things under the patronage of the “Doctor of Prayer,” St. Teresa of Avila. For each question there is one right answer. Each quiz will have one question that is answered with “E” for NOTA, which stands for “None of the Above."
Throughout March, may our souls lose their “roaring lion qualities” and be made more in the image of the Lamb of God.
1. What is the Protoevangelium?
A. the clear prophecies concerning Christ found in Isaiah
B. the song of the angels on Christmas Day
C. the promise to Adam and Eve of a Redeemer
D. the call for repentance by John the Baptist
The catechism gives four answers to the question, ”Why did God not prevent the first man from sinning?” For Questions 2-5 match the source with the quote.
A. Pope St. Leo the Great
B. St. Thomas Aquinas
C. St. Paul
D. the Exsultet
2. Where sin increased, grace abounded all the more.
3. O happy fault; O necessary sin of Adam, which gained for us so great a Redeemer.
4. Christ’s inexpressible grace gave us blessings better than those the demon’s envy had taken away.
5. There is nothing to prevent human nature’s being raised up to something greater, even after sin; God permits evil in order to draw forth some greater good.
6. Who were the king of Israel and the Roman emperor at the time of the birth of Jesus?
A. Herod Antipas and Julius Caesar
B. Pontius Pilate and Octavian
C. Archelaeus and Nero
D. Herod the Great and Caesar Augustus
7. Jesus built His Church on the rock of faith expressed by St. Peter in these words found in Matthew 16:16:
A. “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
B. “My Lord and my God.”
C. “Son of David, have pity on me.”
D. “Rabbi, you are the Son of God, the king of Israel.”
8. A youth minister catechist is successful when he or she:
A. is recognized as a good organizer and great story teller.
B. makes Jesus better known and loved.
C. raises significant funds through a danceathon.
D. gets a large number of youths to sign up for a trip to Elitches.
9. What does the name “Jesus” mean in Hebrew?
A. the Lord liveth
B. Messiah and king
C. salvation from above
10. Who first speaks the name of Jesus in the Gospels?
A. St. John the Baptist
B. God the Father
D. Archangel Gabriel
ANSWERS: 1. C, 2. C, 3. D, 4. A, 5. B, 6. D, 7. A, 8. B, 9. E - God saves, 10. D