With the recent Child Protection Policy set forth by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, there have been many questions and concerns about how we care for the high school youth participants and adult chaperones who attend the Steubenville Conferences.
When you attend the Steubenville of the Rockies Conference, you can be assured that we have done as much as possible to create a safe environment for both the youth and the adult chaperones. The following policies govern adult and youth participation at the conferences:
1. All speakers, musicians, and entertainers at the Steubenville of the Rockies Conference are required to have a background check prior to the start of the conference.
2. All conference staff members are required to have background checks.
3. All adults who serve, as chaperones have to be 21 years old, fill out an application, and be approved to work with teenagers and minor children in their home diocese.
4. All adult volunteers who serve at the Conference are required to have a background check.
5. In regards to housing, no youth shall sleep in the same bed as a chaperone.
6. All adult chaperones must review the "Chaperone Policies," "Guidelines for Adult Chaperone and Youth Participant Relationships" and the "Child Protection Policies". After review these policies all adult chaperones must complete and sign the Chaperone Application. The Group Leader must also sign this form. A "Chaperone Application" must be on file for every adult chaperone prior to the start of the conference or participation will be denied.
During this difficult time within the Catholic Church, we thank you for your cooperation as we work together "to allow God's grace to manifest itself to the children among us," (Most Reverend R. Daniel Conlon, Bishop of the Diocese of Steubenville.)